When Fallout 4 released in 2015, it became a phenomenon among the gaming community and emerged as a perfect action RPG. It received several positive reviews because of its gameplay, content, depth and soundtrack. However, some criticisms were aimed at its visuals and technical issues. The main of these is the crashing of Fallout 4 on startup. So this article will provide ways to fix fallout 4 crashing on startup problems.
Any game would not run smoothly if the system requirements are not met. Therefore, the minimum requirements for Fallout 4 include a 64-bit Windows 7/8/10 OS. Moreover, it requires at least an Intel Core i5 or equivalent processor. The minimal memory and disk space required are 8GB and 30GB, respectively. It also requires an NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB or higher or equivalent graphics.
Fix Fallout 4 Crash on Startup, PC Crash to desktop
However, if Fallout 4 crashes on startup on PC, then you can find the perfect solution from the below-mentioned processes.
1. Mouse Acceleration Problem
Fixing the mouse’s acceleration issue is one of the most basic solutions to correct the Fallout 4 crashing problem. You can easily do this through the following steps:
- Open C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Fallout4
- Then check for the location of the Fallout4Prefs.ini file. Click and open it.
- The next is to change the iPresentinterval=1 into iPresentinterval =0.
- After altering, click on the save option before exiting the window.
- Then to verify the integrity of the alterations, restart the device and relaunch the steam.
- Enter the library sections, locate and then right-click on Fallout 4.
- Then select Properties and the LOCAL FILES tab accordingly.
- Lastly, click on VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES. The steam will then check the game and display the output.
- The final step is to run the game and check whether the error persists or not.
2. Using 64 Bit System
The system specifications for running Fallout 4 require a 64bit setup. This rules out the 32-bit system completely. Therefore using such a computer system will result in the crashing of Fallout 4. Moreover, it is impossible to convert a 32-bit system to a 64-bit setup. Therefore the only option that remains is updating your PC to 64-bit. To do this, you need a 64-bit processor. The next step is to uninstall the 32-bit system and install 64-bit. However, the most obvious way to fix this problem is by using a new PC device.
3. Deleting Game Files and Reloading
One of the most highly recommended and popular steps is to delete some specific files. Then reloading them through Steam can solve the crash error. You can do this without much hassle in the following way:
- Go to the library section after opening the Steam client.
- Then locate Fallout 4 from the list of libraries. Right-click on it and then select the Uninstall option.
- The Delete option will be displayed in a window. Click on it.
- The next step is to exit the Steam client and delete the leftover files.
- After that, restart your system and install Steam again using the Steam client.
This will solve the fallout 4 crashing on startup issue.
4. Modifying System’s Video Settings
Fixing the game’s resolution is another common technique that you can try to fix such crashing problems. However, to perform this in Windows 10, you need to match your display resolution with the in-game resolution. After doing this modification, you need to run the game to check whether Fallout 4 still crashes while launching or not.
5. Temporarily disable antivirus
An Antivirus is an integral part of any system. However, it can prevent some games from running seamlessly. Therefore, You can fix fallout 4 CTD on startup by making certain modifications in the antivirus. It would help if you disabled your antivirus for some time to achieve this. Otherwise, you can also add staying in the antivirus whitelist. After doing one of these steps, right-click on the steam and click on Run as Administrator. Another way is to look through your antivirus manual to know how to disable and enable it. Finally, once you have enabled the antivirus, run Fallout 4 to check for further errors.
6. Checking and Repairing Corrupted Files
Another convenient way is to scan and repair the corrupted files in the device. To perform this, you can download and install ReimagePlus. It is beneficial in scanning the missing and corrupted files automatically. Repairing these files can thus remove the crash issue effectively. It will also make Fallout 4 faster and more accurate.
7. Installing Latest Updates
While playing Fallout 4 on Windows 10, using the earlier version of the game may cause it to crash. Therefore it is essential to keep up with the game developers by downloading the latest patch. This will also increase the stability and performance of the game. Moreover, the updates can provide security for other applications as well.
8. Graphics Driver Updating
Updating the graphics driver is as essential as updating Steam to enjoy the latest benefits. Hence, updating your NVIDIA or any other graphics card is important to stop Fallout 4 CTD on startup issue. The ideal versions to be updated are 358.87, 358.50, and 358.91. Upgrading your divers to these versions will sort out all the crash issues. However, to get maximum stability, you can also downgrade your drivers to the 355.98 version.
It is also important to know the version you are accessing at the moment. However, if you are unaware of this information, then the following steps will help NVIDIA drivers:
- On your desktop home screen, right-click to access the NVIDIA Control Panel option.
- Look at the bottom left corner to find the System Information option and select it.
- This will display you the NVIDIA driver version installed in your system.
Alternatively, you can also view the installed version through another method. To use this process, the steps are:
- Press R and Window Key together to open the Run box.
- In the command window that appears, type dxdiag and click OK.
- A window for Diagnostic Tool will open. Select the Display tab from there. This tab will contain all the information regarding the graphic drivers installed on your device.
Updating to the latest graphics driver will stabilize Fallout 4 further. This will also stop the Fallout 4 Crash on Startup error and provide enhanced graphical performance.
9. Changing Settings
The Fallout 4 Crashes on Startup issue can also occur because of incorrect settings. Often these incorrect settings get saved automatically in the system. However, in Windows 10, You can correct this easily through the following steps:
- First of all, alter the game’s resolution to match the desktop’s resolution.
- The next step is to run the Windowed Mode from the Fallout 4 Options box. You must also select the Borderless option alongside.
- From the Power/Battery Settings, start Fallout 4 on high-performance battery mode. This is especially important when your system is in power saving or any other mode.
- Then select Disable Intro Video and uncheck Enable God Rays. These can be found in the Fallout 4 Settings. After doing all these alterations, click on Save.
This will possibly solve the Fallout 4 crash issue effectively and enable the smooth running of the game.
10. Stopping Steam Cloud
There is always a possibility that the steam cloud can hamper a game’s performance. It may be interfering with some elements of the game and prevent its launch. Therefore, in this case, it is important to disable the Steam Cloud. You can do this through the following steps:
- Firstly, open Steam and go to the Steam Library.
- Find Fallout 4 and Right-click on it. Select Properties from the pop-up list.
- Look for the Updates tab and select it. Then Uncheck the Enable Steam Cloud Synchronization option.
- Select Close. The next step is to restart your device.
- After the system restarts, again open Steam, launch Fallout 4 from there and check whether the issues still exist or not.
11. Adjusting Compatibility
Correcting the Compatibility settings is another way of fixing fallout 4 crash on startup. The steps to perform this function are mentioned below:
- Go to the game installation folder. However, if you are unable to locate it, open Steam. From there, right-click on the game and click Properties. Then select Local Files and Browse Local Files sequentially.
- Search for Fallout 4.exe and right-click on it. Select Properties from the drop-down list.
- Click on the Compatibility tab from the Properties box. Then check the Run this Program as an Administrator and Disable Fullscreen Optimization boxes.
- Then select Change High DPI Settings. From the High DPI Scaling Override section, click the box next to Override High DPI Scaling Behavior.
- Click on the Application from the drop-down menu of Scaling Performed By. Select OK.
- Finally, click in Apply and then OK to save the change.
Therefore, these are all the best ways to solve fallout 4 crashes on startup windows 10 problems. The key here is to select the best method to suit you and efficiently provide a solution. Fallout 4 is one of its kind games. Hence a simple crash issue shouldn’t hamper its enjoyment quotient.